Sunday, January 18, 2009

I know, I'm so teruk

Was in the Gombak Hospital last Thurs and taking history of one of the patients. Then I proceeded to ask the young lady who was together with her some questions hoping to get some additional info:

Me : Cik adalah kakak dia ke? (referring to the patient)
She : Ya, dia adik angkat saya.
Me : Oh... Cik bangsa apa ya? Melayu? (She looked Malay and speaks good BM)
She : Kita orang asli.
Me : Oh, orang asli kaum apa? (Why did I even ask this?)
She : Saya kaum Seman. Dia Jakun. (Saying as-a-matter-of-factly)


My eyes went big... Staring at her trying hard to not show evidence of me wanting to laugh and also not to burst into laughter, but in my mind was already "Jakun? Hahaha")
At that point, my friend who was standing next to me asked me again "What kaum?"
That was the final straw. Thank God with all my strength I paused for a moment, managed to contain myself and just said "Orang asli".

I'll try to never use the word "jakun" again when talking to other people just in case this situation happens another time. We're so comfortable using it to tease other people (like "Wah, you've never seen that before? So jakun!") not knowing it's actually the name of one of the orang asli tribes:

Jakun (Ja-kun)
1. an aboriginal tribe under the orang asli race in Malaysia, especially in the Peninsular.
2. a sarcastic term commonly used to refer to someone who has no knowledge of something that everybody knows of.


So be careful when using the word, you'll never know when you'll meet a real one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Richard, not every laughs when they hear the word 'Jakun' only the.... less IN ones... hey! sounds just like....like you!

-ard said...

Haha... cis! You need to be in the position to find it funny I guess!