Sunday, January 4, 2009

Thought for the New Year

"How many friends do I have?"
Caption: "Zhu pang gao yao... without the gao"

We (Me, KevLee, Adele, Matthew, Andy) were just sitting in the mamak today talking and the subject of friends came up. I found out that I actually classify the people I know to be either friends or acquaintances. And I kinda made up my mind without knowing it.

A friend is someone I consider that I know quite well; that is, we can talk, joke, laugh and are comfortable being in each other's presence. Doesn't need to be really close and stuff but just close enough to be on talking terms.

An acquaintance is someone with whom I think I have to constantly squeeze my brain neurons to think of a conversation to talk about, there are uncountable ackward silences in between conversations, and err... in short... I've got nothing much that is good to say about this person lah. Quite comfortable limiting it to a "Hi-Bye" kind of a relationship I guess.

Oh... and according to me, you can downgrade from a friend to an acquaintance if let's say we have not met each other for a long time and things become "acquaintance-ish" when we meet again.

Haha... didn't think such deep stuff could come out of a mamak session but yeah, I do hope I'll be able to get more friends this year, and prevent any of the current friends from downgrading!

I'll leave you with these thoughts... are you my friend or acquaintance? And how many friends do YOU have? Hah! Scary isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! so how many friends do YOU have.XP

-ard said...

I dunno... but KevLee gave the best answer to my question so far. My TRUE FRIENDS are the people who celebrated my 21st birthday with me when I'm all lonely and miserable. Haha!